120 V
60 Hz

If you’re travelling to the United States, you don’t want to be without power. So, make sure you have the correct power plug adapter and, depending on your country of origin, a necessary voltage convertor. We provide up-to-date information on all the types of electrical outlets used in the USA as well as their standard voltage and frequency. 

Power plug types in the United States

The USA uses two plug and socket types – A and B.

Type A

Plug Type A

Type B

Plug Type B

Other countries that share these types of plugs are Mexico and Canada. Some of the main areas for travellers in the USA include New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Dallas. 

Voltage and frequency of electricity in the United States

The USA has a standard electricity voltage of 127 volts and a frequency of 60 hertz. You need to be careful when it comes to different electrical voltages and frequencies. If you’re coming from a country that has a higher standard voltage such at 230 Volts you will likely need a voltage converter. If the frequency of your device is not 60 hertz like in the USA, it’s recommended not to use it without a voltage converter which also changes the frequency (hertz). Most devices these days will show a range of volts and hertz which means they can more easily be used in different countries without the risk of damage. 

Do I need a power plug adapter for the USA? 

Select the country you’re traveling from to find out what plug adapter you need for the USA:

Check plug type

If you’re not just traveling to the USA and want a travel adapter that works in any country in the world you can save yourself the hassle of buying many adapters and get a universal travel adapter. 

Power plug and electricity information has been collected from the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) and the relevant electrical standards from individual countries. Anything we missed on power plugs in the USA? Please leave us a reply.