USA to India

Are you from the USA and planning to travel to India?

Do you need to get a plug adapter?

Yes. You need a power plug adapter if your coming from the USA and going to India.


  • Electronic appliances in the USA with plug type A and B will not work within India. 
  • The voltage and frequency in the USA is different to the voltage and frequency in India.

Differences in plug types

Click on each country to find more pictures of the power sockets and plugs from that country. You’ll also find more information about the voltage and frequency.


120 V
60 Hz

The power plug type used in the USA is type A and B. Power sockets provide 120 volts of electricity and run on a frequency of 60Hz.


230 V
50 Hz

The power plug type used in India is type C, D and M. Power sockets provide 230 volts of electricity and run on a frequency of 50Hz.

Difference in voltage and frequency

You can’t use some electric appliances in India without a voltage convertor, because the standard voltage in the USA (120 V) is lower than in India (230 V).

Utilizing an appliance not suited for your voltage/frequency can lead to catastrophic damages. To guarantee the safety of your device, make sure you read the label on it before use. Some appliances don’t need a converter at all; if their labels state ‘Input: 100-240V, 50/60 Hz’, then they are certified for international usage!

Buying a travel plug adapter