UK to Canada

Are you from the UK and planning to travel to Canada?

Do you need to get a plug adapter?

Yes. You need a power plug adapter if your coming from the UK and going to Canada.


  • Electronic appliances in the UK will not plug into socket A and B. 
  • The voltage and frequency in the UK is different than Canada.

Differences in plug types

Click on each country to find more pictures of the power sockets and plugs from that country. You’ll also find more information about the voltage and frequency.


230 V
50 Hz

The power plug type used in the United Kingdom is type G, D and M. Power sockets provide 230 volts of electricity and run on a frequency of 50Hz.


120 V
60 Hz

The power plug type used in Canada is type A and B. Power sockets provide 120 volts of electricity and run on a frequency of 60Hz.

Difference in voltage and frequency

You can’t use some electric appliances in Canada without a voltage convertor, because the standard voltage in Canada (120 V) is lower than in the UK (230 V).

Utilizing an appliance not suited for your voltage/frequency can lead to catastrophic damages. To guarantee the safety of your device, make sure you read the label on it before use. Some appliances don’t need a converter at all; if their labels state ‘Input: 100-240V, 50/60 Hz’, then they are certified for international usage!

Buying a travel plug adapter